Local History & Culture
One of the first places people resided in Michigan, the Anishinabeg were the first residents of the area known today as Mackinac County. The Straits Area was one of the oldest French settlements in North America. It was also largest before the establishment of Detroit.
We have 34 official State Historical markers. Our local cultural associations are making an impact in their communities every day through preserving our local history, volunteering, and planning and hosting events.
Our region’s natural beauty entices visitors from all over the world, and local leaders work to enhance and facilitate everyone’s enjoyment of our natural resources.
Local Historical & Cultural Groups
- Les Cheneaux Historical Association
- Fort Mackinac
- Richard & Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum
- Museum of Ojibwa Culture
- Fort De Buade
- Father Marquette National Memorial
- Top of the Lake Snowmobile Museum
- Erickson Center for the Arts
- Pickford Historical Society
- Les Cheneaux Arts Council
- Les Cheneaux Area Artisan Cooperative
- Curtis Community Arts Council